Swaraj Posts Video of Her 2013 Ls Speech Interrupted by Kumar

Swaraj posts video of her 2013 LS speech interrupted by Kumar – Union minister Sushma Swaraj today launched a veiled attack on Meira Kumar, the opposition’s presidential candidate, by posting a video of a 2013 Lok Sabha speech in which the former Speaker was seen repeatedly interrupting the then leader of the opposition.

Swaraj had accused the UPA government of corruption in her speech.

“This is how Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar treated the Leader of Opposition,” Swaraj tweeted along with a link to the over six-minute-long video of her address in April, 2013.

Swaraj was seen as questioning the neutrality of Kumar, pitted against BJP-led National Democratic Alliance candidate Ram Nath Kovind for the presidential contest.

The external affairs minister also tweeted a link to a newspaper report with the headline “Speaker interrupted Sushma 60 times in 6-min speech.”

Swaraj, as the then leader of the opposition in the Lok Sabha, had lambasted the Manmohan Singh-led regime on alleged financial scams, calling it “the most corrupt government” since Independence.

In the video, Kumar repeatedly said “thank you” and “all right” to Swaraj, indicating that the MP had to cut short her address. Swaraj had later said the Speaker did not “protect” her when a number of senior ministers raised a ruckus during the speech.

The opposition last week named Kumar, a Dalit leader from Bihar and former minister, as its candidate against former Bihar governor and Dalit activist Kovind, who was likely to succeed Pranab Mukherjee as the president because of the NDA’s strength in Parliament and state assemblies.

The daughter of the former deputy prime minister, the Jagjivan Ram, Kumar, 72, was also the first woman to be made the Lok Sabha Speaker, a post she occupied between 2009 and 2014, during the UPA’s second term.

Source : http://www.dailypioneer.com/top-stories/

Builders misleading homebuyers on GST

Taking a strong note of builders and construction companies forcing buyers to make full payment before the rollout of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) on July 1, the Centre has warned builders of punitive action for trying to mislead homebuyers that they will have to pay more tax under the GST regime.

In a letter to Chief Ministers, the Ministry of Urban Development, Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation has asked them to ensure that builders do not charge higher tax from homebuyers on installments to be paid after the GST implementation.

The Ministry has received various representations and complaints from States and Central Board on Excise and Customs (CBEC) that the buyers, who have booked flats and made part payments, are being asked by their builders to make full payment before July 1 to avoid higher tax rate during the GST regime.

In his letter to the CMs, Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said there had been complaints that buyers are being asked to make entire payment before July 1 to avoid higher tax. “It has been further informed that these activities are against the GST law. The Department of Revenue has clarified that construction of flats, complexes and buildings will have comparatively a lower incidence of the GST if we compare it to a plethora of Central and State indirect taxes under the existing tax regime,” he said.

Naidu said it is expected that builders would pass on the benefits of the lower tax burden as result of the GST to buyers in the form of reduced prices/installments. “Hence, I would like to request your State Government as well as the builders’ associations to ensure that no builder/construction company should ask customers to pay a higher tax rate on installments to be received after imposition of the GST,” the letter said.

Naidu made it clear that in the current tax regimes, components of Central Excise Duty, VAT, and Entry Tax on construction material are borne by builders which they pass on to customers as part of the price charged from them.

“This is obviously not visible to the customer as it forms a part of the cost of the flat. The buyer/customer does not see the embedded taxes on account of cascading and sticking of input taxes in the cost of the flats,” Naidu said.

Under normal business circumstances, a transaction get “completed” when the goods/services are delivered, invoices received, and the payments made against them. “The Department of Revenue has further advised that under the GST, the current scenario will change. Full input credit would be available for offsetting the headline rate of 12 per cent proposed under the GST. As a result, the input taxes embedded in the flat will not form a part of the cost of the flat. The input credits should also take care of the headline rate of 12 per cent and it is for this reason that refund of the overflow of input tax credits to the builder has been disallowed,” the Minister said.

The officials say that under the GST, developers would see lesser burden of tax on input items like cement, steel, etc, as tax credits would be available for set off at various stages. This can lead to lower construction costs for developers across all asset classes, which could likely be passed on to property buyers.

On the other hand, builders say that under the GST, a developer would have to pay 12 per cent VAT on construction materials and 28 per cent on cement. This would be certainly passed on to the buyer. Presently, many developers do not show purchases such as building materials, steel, and others in white money.

The Pioneer has received several email from buyers in which developers are asking to clear all outstanding dues in one go.

The following is one such email sent by Unnati Fortune Group to their homebuyers.

Dear Sir/Madam

This is to inform you that from 1st July 2017 the service tax on property will be replaced by GST. So instead of 4.5% service tax, 12% GST will be charged on any payment done against the cost of the property.

We therefore suggest you to kindly clear ALL YOUR OUTSTANDING DUES by 30th June 2017 to save 7.5% on tax.

Please feel free to contact your relationship manager for any clarification/assistance.

Source : http://www.dailypioneer.com/todays-newspaper

Baghdadi killed in airstrike? Russia unsure

Russia on Friday said it was verifying whether the elusive ISIS terror group chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi had been killed in a targeted Russian airstrike in strife-torn Syria last month.

The airstrike was carried out on May 28 on the outskirts of the dreaded terrorist group’s de facto capital Raqqa, on a command post where ISIS leaders were meeting, according to Russian state media reports.

“According to information, which is being verified via different channels, the meeting was also attended by the (ISIS) leader Ibrahim Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who was eliminated in the strike,” the Ministry said, according to the TASS news agency.

The leaders were discussing their exit from the city through the so-called southern corridor, the Ministry said.

The airstrike was carried out following drone footage confirmation of the council’s meeting location, state-run Sputnik reported.

Other state media reported that more than 300 “terrorists” were killed in the strike. There have been a number of previous reports of Baghdadi’s death. This is the first time, however, that Russia has said it may have killed the ISIS leader. Other media reports have previously claimed he had been killed or critically injured by US-led coalition airstrikes.

Reacting to the report, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov told journalists that there is no one-hundred-per cent confirmation yet that leader of the ISIS terror group outlawed in Russia, al-Baghdadi, has been killed.

“So far, I have no one-hundred-per cent confirmation of this information,” Lavrov said.

US defence officials said they were unable to confirm the reports. Col Ryan Dillon, a spokesman for the US-led coalition’s operation against ISIS in Syria and Iraq, said the coalition “cannot confirm these reports at this time.”

There has been no official comment from Syria’s Government, the BBC reported. So far, there has been minimal reaction from online supporters of ISIS to news of the reported death of the group’s leader, it said.

ISIS sympathisers typically ignore reports from unofficial IS sources or ridicule them, especially given that Baghdadi’s death has been reported several times in the past.

One high-profile ISIS supporter on the messaging app Telegram shared a post denying the news and saying that when an ISIS leadership figure is killed, the group does not hide it. He expected Baghdadi to come out soon with a message to prove he was still alive.

The ISIS has earned global notoriety for imposing a hardline form of Islam that has included stonings, beheadings and amputations.

Earlier, the The Russian army, in a statement, said Sukhoi warplanes carried out a 10-minute night-time strike on May 28 at a location near Raqa, where ISIS leaders had gathered to plan a pullout by terrorists from the group’s stronghold.

Source : http://www.dailypioneer.com/world/baghdadi-killed-in-airstrike-russia-unsure.html

Scindia, Bhuria detained on way to Mandsaur

Congress leaders Jyotiraditya Scindia and Kantilal Bhuria, along with a large number of their supporters, were detained at the Nayagaon-Jaora toll booth on their way to the neighbouring Mandsaur town to meet the kin of farmers killed in police firing.
“Police have detained Scindia, Bhuria and MLA Mahendra Singh Kalukheda, among others, under section 151 of CRPC,” Jaora city superintendent of police (CSP) Deepak Shukla told PTI.
Ratlam SP Amit Singh said, “We have already informed the Congress leaders that section 144 has been imposed in Mandsaur and therefore, they would not be allowed to visit the town.”
Before their detention, the Congress leaders and their supporters staged a sit-in at the toll booth demanding that they be allowed to visit Mandsaur.
Scindia said that if section 144 has been imposed then he would go there alone. “Why the police is preventing me from going to Mandsaur? This is ‘Hitler’shahi,” he said.
Meanwhile, Scindia’s supporters burnt an effigy of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan in Guna, the constituency of the Congress leader, and courted arrest.
The farmers’ protest in Madhya Pradesh, which began on June 1, took a violent turn on June 6, when five of them were killed in police firing at Mandsaur.
Subsequently, bandhs and arson were witnessed as the agitation spread to other districts of western Madhya Pradesh including Neemuch, Dhar, Ratlam and Jhabua.

Jaibhan Singh Pawaiya inspects CM Helpline Call Centre

Minister for Public Service Management Jaibhan Singh Pawaiya inspected CM Helpline Call Centre on Monday. Secretary Public Service Management department Hariranjan Rao was present on the occasion.

It was informed that 32 lakh complaints have been redressed through CM Helpline till date. There are 220 counters in call center which work from morning 7 am to 11 pm. About 30,000 calls are received by the call-center daily.

Pawaiya awarded best workers working in the helpline. He said that such a unique experiment based on presumptions has been carried out by the Chief Minister of the state, which has become a medium of trust for the citizens. He further mentioned that every person praised CM helpline. Not a single complaint has been received against the CM helpline. This has become possible because of the workers of the helpline. Several things depend on the attitude of the workers which eliminates almost half of the pain of the complainant. Therefore they are worthy of honour.

The Minister also reviewed Public Service Management and CM Helpline. He issued directives to upgrade mobile app of CM helpline for the people’s convenience. Besides, he told the officials to expand its reach.

It was informed that public hearing is being included in CM Helpline. Initially it will be experimented in Mandla and Rajgarh. Total 252 services are notified under the Public Service Guarantee Act and process to include 9 more is under way. Online services are being provided by 413 public services centers in all the headquarters of blocks and tahsils of the state. Digital signatures of over 12 thousand officers of the state have been made to provide digital services.

Online digitally signed certificates of the services are available on a common repository website mpedistrict.mp.gov.in. The Public Service Management department has been awarded by United Nations in the year 2012, followed by Skoch award in 2013 and State E-Governance Award for excellent efforts for providing public services.

Deliberations on State Public Service Agency, Atal Bihari Bajpai Institute of Good Governance and Policy Analysis, Citizen Services, Citizen Interface, status of online services, main prevalent activities and work beside World Bank Project etc. took place during the review.

Source : http://www.dailypioneer.com/state-editions/

China Warns India Over Dhola-Sadiya Bridge in Arunachal

China Warns India Over Dhola-Sadiya Bridge in Arunachal – China on Monday asked India to be “cautious” and exercise “restraint” over building infrastructure in Arunachal Pradesh, days after Prime Narendra Modi launched the country’s longest bridge linking Assam with the state claimed by Beijing.

“We hope India adopts a cautious and restrained attitude on the issue before the final settlement of the border issue with China to jointly control disputes, safeguard peace and tranquility in the border areas,” the Chinese Foreign Ministry told IANS.

“China’s position on the eastern section of the Sino-Indian border areas is consistent and clear,” a statement in Chinese said.

Modi last week opened the country’s longest bridge over Brahmaputra river that connects Assam’s easternmost region with Arunachal Pradesh, claimed and dubbed by China as South Tibet.

“China and India should resolve territorial disputes through negotiations and consultations between the two countries,” the Foreign Ministry said.

China and India have a dragging border dispute.

The 9.2 km Dhola-Sadiya bridge will cut the distance and travel time between Assam and Arunachal Pradesh by 165 km and five hours.

Analysts say the bridge will ensure swift movement of Indian troops in Arunachal Pradesh, which, therefore, will bolster India’s defence along the China border.

China and India fought a brief war in 1962 when the Chinese entered Arunachal Pradesh and unilaterally declared a ceasefire after withdrawing to the McMahon Line.

Since then Indian and Chinese troops have had several skirmishes.

China has long been building infrastructure along the border unlike India, which, experts say, avoided building roads in the region, fearing a repeat of the 1962 war when the People’s Liberation Army troops entered Assam.

Source : http://www.dailypioneer.com/

Modi Leaves On Four-Nation European Tour

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday left for Germany on a six-day four-nation tour of Europe that will also take him to Spain, Russia and France.

“A week of vigorous diplomacy as PM departs,” External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Gopal Baglay tweeted.

Modi and German Chancellor Angela Merkel will on Tuesday hold the fourth biannual Inter-Governmental Consultations following which a number of agreements across different sectors are expected to be signed.

Modi will address the Indo-German Business Forum that will see the participation of top German CEOs.

He will leave for Spain on May 30 evening in what would be the first Indian Prime Ministerial visit to that country in nearly 30 years after Rajiv Gandhi’s in 1988.

Modi will hold a bilateral summit with his Spanish counterpart Mariano Rajoy on May 31 in Madrid and also call on King Felipe VI.

Thereafter, he will leave for Russia where he will hold the 18th annual India-Russia bilateral summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin in St. Petersburg on June 1 and attend the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum, a business event, the next day.

The Prime Minister will reach Paris on June 2 evening and hold a bilateral summit with newly elected French President Emmanuel Macron the following day before returning to India.

Source : http://www.dailypioneer.com/nation